The Wood Norton Hotel | PicPr
Switching channels – from Ex BBC broadcasting centre to luxurious hotel…
Having undergone a £4m restoration, The Wood Norton hotel was now a 50-room hotel. Originally built as a hunting lodge for European Royalty in 1897. The BBC then bought the site in 1939 to establish an emergency broadcasting centre away from London. Although rich in history, the hotel was not rich in guest bookings, or media coverage.
Objectives were simple…make a big impact with the National, regional, and local press, as well as key consumer and trade press to reach key audiences.
We suggested hosting an official launch night. With the date in place VIPs were invited. News stories were then sent out and ‘sold-in’ to a whole host of media. Press were also invited.
Hotel tours were provided for all the guests, allowing everybody to see the refurbishment work that had been undertaken. Official opening speeches were carried out by the General Manager and a few of the VIPs, as well as the ‘cutting of the ribbon.’ We provided photography for the whole evening too.
Once the event was over, news stories were sent out accompanied with the photography from that evening. We then provided a Twitter workshop for reception and front of house staff, engaging with those who came to the launch party as well helping the hotel staff to run a pro-active Twitter account going forwards.
Finally, we worked with the web developers of the new Wood Norton website to devise an SEO strategy and ensure all content going out was optimised, and included trackable hyperlinks.
The solution was all about doing the basics brilliantly.
- This launch campaign generated over 100 pieces of coverage (including Nationals – Daily Telegraph, Daily Mail, The Sun. Regionals – Birmingham Post, Birmingham Mail, Plus masses of local and consumer media)
- 80% of the online coverage achieved in this period linked through to the new Wood Norton website
- 200 guests attended the re-opening event (there wasn’t enough room for anymore!)
- Over 100 bookings for Christmas and into the new year off the back of this campaign
- Over 400 asked to attend the event. For those who couldn’t be accommodated, contact details were still captured, and were used for future marketing purposes
- Following this launch campaign the hotel signed a long-term contract with Pic PR. As a result they are continuously in the media.